Saturday, May 12, 2012

toy cameras + film photography!

My sister and her bf gifted a silver toy camera to me for my twenty first birthday and I absolutely love it! It's the Silver Kumagin from the Superheadz Ultra Wide and Slim series.

Light, plasticky and shiny, it wasn't my first choice actually. I had first fallen in love with the Usagi Colourful (and still think it's the most gorgeous thing ever) after setting my sights on a couple of these cameras at Page One in Vivocity many months back. That evening, I returned home raving to my sister about the pretty lomos I saw.

Usagi Colourful

But when searching for a picture of these cams online just now, I found out that my Kumajin is a limited edition version with only 2000 sets available worldwide. Oh wow. *Cries tears of happiness* T_____T

Kumajin (Silver)

So anyway, I took the Kumajin along on my trip to Taiwan and it's the first film camera that I have personally owned and handled. It's surprisingly easy to use, which is why calling it a "toy camera" is really apt. To take a photo, you simply point and shoot. There's really no other buttons for you to make use of other than the shutter button. Haha.

As I had brought the film overseas with me, they were subjected to security checks and scanning at the airports. Some of the images (1/4 of them) got affected by fogging and were unusable, which is pretty sad. But I'm sure the next roll I take and develop will turn out a-okay.

Here are some of my favourites from this batch. I think they look better IRL though. Scanning does funny things to the photos and the quality was compromised. Take a look through 'em and enjoy!

At the fishing port in Ye Liu.

Random shrub of grass by a hillside.

Used taxis for sale- spotted while on the local bus!


Manicured grass depicting the name of the area.

Cheap ice-cream in Dan Tsui!

Families taking photos by the Taipei Zoo sign

Candid shot of me using the digicam.

Beloved stuffed llama enjoying the view.