Tuesday, April 14, 2009

生日快乐

When I was younger, birthdays seemed magical, mystical even, somehow. It was as if at the stroke of midnight I’d suddenly feel different just because it was my birthday and my ‘special day’. Perhaps because I believed wholeheartedly in it, I really did feel different and happier on those days. However, as I grew older year by year… this mystical feeling starts wearing off. I won’t forget last year where it fell on the first day of school and was just like any other regular day. Fireworks didn’t go off, I didn’t feel special and nothing was different.

I guess my realization started then, that it was all just a play on the mind. I have always believed that birthday wishes do come true, and I still believe in it now. Though my brother once told me that what he wished for never materialized, I feel that it is what you wished for that should be practical. If not, how would it ever come true? It’s an oxymoron in a way, but true for my own case anyway.

After all, we are only given 1 day of the year to ‘celebrate’ ourselves. And if we don’t believe in birthdays being special, who else will want to make it special for us? :)

Happy birthday to me! And Happy 18th Birthday to Cabrina as well! See you all later :D